Food and Wine

27 Mar 13, 16:44:32

Mystery Champagne and Sparkling Mixed Case

I ordered a case of this yesterday. £50 for a case including a minimum of 3 bottles of Champagne.
Just read the 26 reviews and they are all very positive.

I had difficulty finding on the Tesco/Wine site - I stumbled on to it by accident!

It is classed as Fine Wine so the current weekend flash sale discount does not (I think) apply.

Here is the link:

I'll let everyone know what I end up with when I receive my order later this week.

Regards

Ian

For posting guidelines please refer to our House rules.

Showing 8 replies

Aimetu - Gold, 27 Mar 13, 17:01:18

Ian, I ordered one of these too - wonder what we'll get - I love surprises :-)

Nickc - Gold, 28 Mar 13, 10:52:03

Hi Ian & Aimetu,

I have looked at it before but never taken the punt.
I was put off having bought mystery cases from Laithwaites Wines which basically contained poor wines and ones that were close to sell by date!
I am sure you will get a good deal from Tesco ..kindly keep us posted!
Enjoy Easter!

pumps100 - Gold, 28 Mar 13, 11:28:14

Regret to report my Mystery box is being returned.

Yes I received three bottles of champagne as promised. To complete the box three bottles of something which I am not quite sure is actually wine:

Encounter Bay Sparkling Rose 5.5% ABV

A bit naughty I think. I would not even donate such rubbish to the local Spring Fete. People would talk.

Caveat Emptor

Regards

Ian

Aimetu - Gold, 28 Mar 13, 19:17:10

Ian - oh no that's not good at all, and definitely not wine as advertised. Mine comes Monday - did you open on delivery and refuse box or did they collect later? Just so I know

pumps100 - Gold, 29 Mar 13, 10:04:15

Sorry for late reply Aimetu.

I had 11 cases delivered so did not have the opportunity to return the Mystery case with the driver.

I have emailed Tesco and have had an acknowledgement. They'll be back to me in due course. I will not waste my time and money by phoning them.

I told them that where I grew up "wine" at 5.5% was considered as a soft drink for kids - a step up from a shandy!

You might be lucky though!

Regards

Ian

Aimetu - Gold, 29 Mar 13, 10:21:25

Thanks Ian - no rush for the reply - they are coming Monday but only a couple of boxes so I might open there and then.

I totally agreee that 5.5% is not wine and certainly not fine wine - there was lots of this light wine at the Wine Fair. Is this because:

1. Trying to match the alcho pop theme
2. Persuade us the drink more often because it's lighter
3. Hit the pre- night out drinking brigade

My thoughts (and hubby's) if you are having wine then have wine!!

pumps100 - Gold, 29 Mar 13, 15:47:00

Had a call from Tesco and they've told me just to hand the case into my local Tesco with a copy of my receipt for a refund.

Encounter Bay Sparkling Rose 5.5% ABV

I note that Tesco don't even stock it now.

I will never buy a Mystery Case again. Once bitten.

Regards

Ian

pumps100 - Gold, 30 Mar 13, 17:01:20

Feel a bit like Stevie Wonder.

Took my Mystery case to my local store and got my £50 back.

Regards

Ian

For posting guidelines please refer to our House rules.

Buy wine your way

On the phone

Order cases of wine by calling
0800 323 4080

For wine advice

call our Wine Advisors on
08450 269 998

Tesco Real Food

To find out more about our food click here